Monday, August 9, 2010

Chef O'Donnell even learned a thing...or two.










Yesterday was Day 2 at the Blue Elephant Cooking School. Today we made 4 different things. Pad Thai, Tom Yam Koong (Spicy & Sour Prawn Soup), Kaeng Keaw Waan Kai (Green Curry with Chicken), and Tod Man Plaa Grai (Thai Fish Cake). The instructors give you a step by step, ingredient by ingredient breakdown of what is going into the dish and then whip it right up in front of the "classroom". We began with the fish cake, moved onto the soup, then to the curry, and finished with the perennial favorite, Pad Thai! True, we've already made some of these in the kitchen part of this class already, but we learned some new tricks. For instance...Chef taught us in class to make the Pad Thai sauce in the wok first, remove, then make your noodles & everything else. Well, we got schooled! Our Chef Instructor did a one pot method, and everything was amazing. No removing the shrimps, just whip everything up all at once. If I'm not mistaken Chef O'Donnell even said I'm going to change the way I teach this. That is one thing I love about cooking, it's amazing to see great minds bouncing brilliant ideas off of one another. P.S. The teacher's Pad Thai was the most amazing I've ever eaten! I will never be able to go home and eat Thai Spice again, from now on I'll be doing my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment